O'Brien Bookseller of the Year Award
O'Brien Bookseller of the Year 2022: Alan Johnston, Bookstation
Brenda Boyne presenting the trophy to the winner of the O'Brien Bookseller of the Year Award 2022, Alan Johnston, Marketing Director, Bookstation.
The judges in their citation said
With a voracious curiosity, genuine love of books and uncanny eye for a bestseller, he always puts the book at the heart of whatever he is doing.
Constantly driving change, whether on the shop floor or in head office roles, he backs up instinct with huge knowledge and courage.
Alan is both an inspiring and enthusiastic colleague and a genuinely collaborative partner to so many in the book world.
The O'Brien Bookseller of the Year Award has been presented annually since 1995 in recognition of outstanding achievement or an invaluable contribution to the book trade by an individual bookseller.
The winner's name is added to The Elements, a bronze perpetual trophy sculpted by Rowan Gillespie, one of Ireland's leading sculptors. The winner keeps the award for the year, and also receives a framed commemorative certificate.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Any Bookseller who:
- operates on the island of Ireland
- works in, manages or owns a bookselling business
- has a minimum of three years' experience as a bookseller in Ireland (not necessarily with the same company)
Judging of 2022 Award
The judges for the 2022 award were
- Brian Blennerhassett, Butler Sims
- Jacq Murphy, Harper Collins Ireland
- Davy Adamson, Pan Macmillan
- Ivan O’Brien, The O’Brien Press